You’ll find that some chow chow recipes consist primarily of chopped green tomatoes with varying amounts of cabbage, onion and peppers.At times, I make chow chow with poblano or jalapeno peppers to give it a kick. Makes 3 cups of spicy chow chow relish in about 25 minutes. Combine the mixture ingredients and add to the cabbage, onions and peppers. Take a look at the recipe and just imagine a few spoonfuls atop a pulled pork sandwich. In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, turmeric, peppercorns, Until recently, I thought there was only one type of chow chow—the furry breed of Mongolian dog that Martha Stewart adores. Let stand overnight. brown sugar 1 tbsp. Drain off about half of the liquid. One gallon of green tomatoes makes a BUNCH once you chop them. Learn more on our Terms of Use page. If you’re not familiar with chow chow, it’s a tangy, crunchy relish that’s made with green tomatoes, cabbage, and peppers. How I loved to eat the Chow-Chow with her delicious pinto beans and corn bread (all crunchy around the edges) When I became an adult I learned that in some areas it is called piccalili. And as another reviewer mentioned, I figured that the spices would just go through the cloth since they are ground. Some people make their chow chow sweet, but I keep mine on the piquant and savory side. Bring to a boil. In a large, heavy pot, bring the sugar, vinegar and water to a boil. Chop or grind tomatoes, onions and peppers together and cover with the salt; let stand overnight. This recipe is so simple and perfect for a last minute dinner prep. Not to mention cheaper, this cabbage chow mein costs pennies to make and it packs a great nutritional punch. Chop your green tomatoes. I made this exactly as written except I added 4 tsp of turmeric. Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest recipes and tips! However, they can easily be replaced with other veggies like bok choy, celery, broccoli, spinach, kale or baby corn. 2 cups finely shredded cabbage; 1 large onion, cut into thin strips; 1 bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut into thin strips; 2 jalapenos, cut into thin slices (optional) 1 cup vinegar; 3/4 cup cane sugar; 1 tsp turmeric; 1 tsp celery salt; 1 tsp mustard seeds https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/southern-chow-chow-8347449 Typical ingredients drawn on by chow-chow recipes can include beans, bell peppers (red or green), cabbage, carrots, cucumber, corn kernels, cauliflower, onions, tomatoes (green and red), peas, etc. Directions. https://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipe/cucumber-cabbage-chow-chow Check out this picture for a graphic. Put in a large jar or keg, and sprinkle over it … In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers and jalapeños. This Chow Chow – a pickle relish kinda thing with red and green cabbage and cauliflower and – well – it’s MY recipe – jalapeño – is kinda hard to ignore – and so much better than plain ole sauerkraut. Let stand for 1 hour to crisp and drain off excess juices. Disclosure. Step 2. In the south, and particularly in the mountains where they grow huge heads of crisp 1 lb cabbage (chopped) 6 medium onions (chopped) 6 green bell peppers (chopped) 6 red bell peppers (chopped) 4 cups green tomatoes (peeled and chopped) … The perfect margarita is all about fresh, crisp flavors, barely tempered by sweet triple sec. In the North, chow chow is filled with a variety of vegetables like green tomatoes, carrots, beans, cauliflower and even peas. In the South, it's often served with pinto beans and ham. Home > Recipes > Pickles > Deep South Chow Chow Relish. Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup of salt and let stand overnight. https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/recipe/209987/chow-chow-relish Put a plate to fit inside the colander on top of the vegetables, and weigh down with a few large, heavy cans of food or more plates. The name comes from the French word for cabbage, chou, which leads me to think the dish has Acadian roots. Toss to evenly coat with the salt. Two recipes have been posted, but I can only find one. Mix together the bell peppers, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, jalapeno and salt in a large bowl. 1 tbsp. Click Play to See This Chow Chow Green Tomato Relish … It only takes about 10 minutes prep to finish, that’s quicker than take out and most frozen meals. One gallon of green tomatoes makes a BUNCH once you chop them. Drain, add the vinegar, spices (tied in cheese-cloth bag) and sugar; allow to boil slowly until tender (about 15 minutes). When the Chow-Chow is finished, I use my paternal grandmother’s glass canning funnel to fill the jars. Reviewed by millions of home cooks. Add those ingredients to your pot plus the salt and stir. Using clean hands, toss the vegetables with the salt to fully combine. Add those into a very large pot. Two recipes have been posted, but I can only find one. In the South, the main ingredients tend to be green cabbage, peppers, and a hint of spice. Chow-chow, sometimes referred to as piccalilli, is a traditional accompaniment to Southern-style baked beans, black-eyed peas, and greens, but is super on hot dogs, hamburgers, and sandwiches and with cold meats and sausages. Vegetables: Carrots, cabbage, green onions, and bean sprouts are the perfect combination of veggies to use for chow mein. https://adoptedtomato.ca/2018/09/26/traditional-maritime-green-tomato-chow See recipes for Chayote/ chow chow fry too. Advertisement. of turmeric 6 onions. Put cabbage in very large pot and boil until soft. Spicy Chow Chow Relish. 2 cups finely shredded cabbage; 1 large onion, cut into thin strips; 1 bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut into thin strips; 2 jalapenos, cut into thin slices (optional) 1 cup vinegar; 3/4 cup cane sugar; 1 tsp turmeric; 1 tsp celery salt; 1 tsp mustard seeds Add those into a very large pot. Step 1: Gather and wash ingredients. Feel free to get creative and use what you like or whatever you have hanging around in your fridge! Let stand 4 to 6 hours in Combine the cabbage, onions, green and red bell peppers, tomatoes, and salt in a large bowl. Cover with 1/8-inch layer of melted paraffin; seal with a 2 piece lid. INGREDIENTS •8 cups chopped red cabbage •4 cups chopped green cabbage •2 cups chopped cauliflower •3 cups chopped tomatoes I process my veggies in a food processor to make this recipe easier. Not to mention cheaper, this cabbage chow mein costs pennies to make and it packs a great nutritional punch. I like that this recipe has a whole lot less sugar than many of the other recipes I saw online for Chow Chow. Let stand overnight. Add both vinegars, sugar, mustard, … Have you cooked this recipe? Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes. It only takes about 10 minutes prep to finish, that’s quicker than take out and most frozen meals. Of all the ways to preserve summer flavor, Nannie’s Chow-Chow … Stir in the salt, cover the pot, and let the vegetables stand at room temperature for 4 to twelve hours. It always gives me a good feeling that I am continuing family traditions. 10 Best Chow Mein with Cabbage Recipes | Yummly Save www.yummly.com. This one is a pickled relish that is a staple in the South, usually consisting of cabbage, salt, sugar, and a few other vegetables. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the flavors start to marry, about 5 minutes. Chow chow comes in different varieties depending on the region and the cook’s preference. It can be served hot or cold; as a side dish or condiment. I'm going to jar it up and let it sit until the weekend. 1/2 cup sweet onions chopped fine 1/2 cup chopped green or red bell peppers (optional) 2 Tablespoons salt. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy. Depending on the preparation, chow-chow's flavor profile falls somewhere between sauerkraut, vinegar-based cole slaw, and giardiniera. Shred your head of cabbage, seed and chop all peppers, and chop the onion. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, cloves, mustard seeds, peppercorns, mustard, turmeric, red pepper flakes and bay leaf to a large saucepan over medium heat. See recipes for Chayote/ chow chow fry too. celery seed. I can only imagine what flavors will intensify before then. Drain the tomato/pepper mixture and add the hot chile peppers, vinegar, sugar, and horseradish. This recipe is so simple and perfect for a last minute dinner prep. Create the Juice. Caroline Russock is a food writer splitting her time between Philadelphia and the Caribbean. A 5-star recipe for Chow Chow made with green tomatoes, green bell peppers, onions, cabbage, salt, vinegar, brown sugar, dry In the Pennsylvania Dutch areas near where I now live, chow chow is made with large “chunks” of vegetables including carrots, celery, and green beans. Drain liquid. Some comments may be held for manual review. For now, feel free to continue reading. In a large non reactive pot toast the mustard and celery seeds over medium-high heat about 1 minute or until fragrant, moving pot constantly. Add the drained vegetables and bring back to a boil. Add a rating: Comments can take a minute to appear—please be patient! Chow Chow. Chop your green tomatoes. The relish is a combination of chopped green tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and peppers. Post whatever you want, just keep it seriously about eats, seriously. Reduce heat to medium low and continue simmering for 5 minutes. Recipe from my childhood. Shred your head of cabbage, seed and chop all peppers, and chop the onion. It's an ideal accompaniment for any type of barbecue since the sweetness and acidity cut right through the fattiness of the meat. Drain off liquid. This one is a pickled relish that is a staple in the South, usually consisting of cabbage, salt, sugar, and a few other vegetables.. Chow chow is (loosely) a seasoned, pickled slaw made from cabbage, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and really whatever else your garden or farmer’s market gives forth; meaning two recipes are seldom the same. Stay tuned for the first newsletter in the morning, straight to your inbox. Submitted by: lakeoro on August 10 , 2012. Until recently, I thought there was only one type of chow chow—the furry breed of Mongolian dog that Martha Stewart adores.As it turns out, there's another breed of chow-chow, differentiated by a mere hyphen. Add remaining ingredients except vinegar and sugar and boil an additional 30 minutes. Depending on the preparation, chow-chow's flavor profile falls somewhere between sauerkraut, vinegar-based cole slaw, and giardiniera. Pack the chow-chow into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space in jar. … Step 1. Hake Medallions Topped with Green Cabbage As receitas lá de casa. Cabbage is such a versatile vegetable and I really love how it works in the place of noodles in this recipe. Drain the liquid from the mixture. It can be served hot or cold; as a side dish or condiment. The back of card has recipes for Chow Chow and Cabbage Sweet and Sour, which uses cabbage, green tomatoes, onions, red peppers, dry mustard, white mustard seed, celery seed, ginger, cloves, vinegar and other ingredients. serrano chile, tomato, chopped onion, cinnamon stick, salt, chopped green bell pepper and 6 more. Weight it down and let stand for 3 hours. 10 Steps to Pickling Chow-Chow Relish with a Waterbath Canner or Pot with Rack. Wrap the cinnamon, allspice, and cloves in cheesecloth or a porous bag, and add to … Chow Chow (Granny Bales) Step #1 1 large head cabbage 10 green tomatoes 6 Bell Peppers, some red for color 1 large onion Put through food grinder ( Before the food chopper was invented) Step #2 2 cups brown sugar 1 2 cups Cider vinegar 3/4 tsp Allspice 3/4 tsp Cinnamon Add this mixture to vegetables. The use of cabbage is more common in some parts of the southern US than it is in other parts of the US or of the world. 109 Delicious Crock Pot Recipes for A More Efficient Cooking Time, 30 Brilliant Fresh Tomato Recipes for Using Your Garden Bounty, 14 Most Affordable Foods to Cut Your Grocery Bills Down Today, 22 Sweet & Simple Rhubarb Dessert Recipes for a Delicious Treat, How to Cure Garlic and Onions to Make Them Last, How to Make Vinegar Extractions (plus Infusions, Tonics, Fire Cider, and Shrubs), How to Make a Basic Chicken Stock and Store It for Later, How to Render Lard at Home for Cooking or Baking, 30 Lamb Recipes You’ve Never Tried Before, but Will Really Love, Potting and Jugging in Food Preservation: What Are They and How You Can Do It, 4 Easy Methods to Make Healthy Dandelion Tea and 13 Recipes to Try Out, 43 Mouthwatering Potato Recipes to Really Spice Up Your Spuds, 6 Steps to Making Delicious Homemade Pimento Cheese, 9 Reasons Why Lard is Actually Good for You, How to Make Bone Broth in 5 Easy Steps Using 2 Different Methods, How to Make Homemade ‘Champagne’ and Enjoy Sparkling Wine, How to Pressure Can Soup for Home Canners, Dehydrate Food 101: All You Need to Know to Begin Dehydrating Food, The 6 Simple Steps to Making Homemade Delicious Salsa Verde, 41 Campfire Recipes so Delicious You’ll Want to Go Camping Right Away, 29 Indulgent Plum Recipes – What to Do With Plums. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Publisher is Lang, card dates to 2001. Artist is Susan Winget. Cabbage Chow Chow Recipe. While the chopped vegetable drain, combine the spices, sugar, and … Chow Chow without cabbage. Taking the season’s bounty, blending in new flavors, and jarring a little something for later is well worth the wait.Down South, chow-chow is an end-of-season recipe that makes the most of any veggies left on your backyard vines. Its flavor goes a long way in brightening up rich, heavy dishes. In a medium nonreactive stockpot, combine the cabbage, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes (the raw vegetables should equal 2 1/2 to 3 quarts). In a large saucepan over medium heat combine the sugar, mustard, turmeric , ginger, mustard seed, celery seed, whole spices, and vinegar. Chow Chow. Our most trusted Chow Chow Pickles With Cabbage recipes. 1 tsp. Big Mama's Chow-Chow in Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book is a bit sweeter than your everyday chow-chow. Cover loosely with a kitchen cloth and leave at room temperature overnight. We reserve the right to delete off-topic or inflammatory comments. As always with our Cook the Book feature, we have five (5) copies of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book to give away this week. Step 4, of boiling vinegar. However, they can easily be replaced with other veggies like bok … 21 homemade recipes for chow chow from the biggest global cooking community! 1 tbsp. Spicy Chow Chow Relish. Simmer mixture for … 21 homemade recipes for chow chow from the biggest global cooking community! Cookbook czarina, Philadelphia area cocktail correspondent. Makes 3 cups of spicy chow chow relish in about 25 minutes. Chow chow is a traditional Southern pickled relish that can be made from green tomatoes, red tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and green and red peppers. The following morning rinse, drain and set aside in a large cooking vessel or soup pot. Drain the vegetables and rinse thoroughly. black pepper 2 tbsp. After the cabbage, onions and peppers have been chopped fine, mix real well with salt. Add the drained vegetables, return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Spicy Coleslaw from 'Around the Southern Table', Make-Ahead Coconut-Poached Chicken with Spring Vegetables and Cashews, Eat For Eight Bucks: Gnocchi and Red Cabbage Gratin, Brined Pork Roast with Red Cabbage and Semmelknödel, Gluten-Free Tuesday: Quick-Pickled Sea Beans, Serious Eats' Halal Cart-Style Chicken and Rice With White Sauce, 1 medium head of cabbage, cored and shredded, 4 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and diced, 2 green tomatoes, or 5 husked tomatillos, diced. Serve hot or cold. Heat … If you see something not so nice, please, report an inappropriate comment. I still make Chow-Chow for my family and I use Granny’s old 2 gallon crock churn to salt it down overnight. Combine the cabbage, cucumbers, onion, bell pepper, and sea salt in a large non-reactive mixing bowl, such as glass or ceramic. In preparation for Labor Day weekend, I made a big batch of chow-chow based on this recipe but with a few touches of my own. That red color tells you what you need to know: They're HOT! Cabbage Chow Chow Recipe. Of all the ways to preserve summer flavor, Nannie’s Chow-Chow Relish is a classic. Take one cabbage, a large one, and cut up fine. The recipes may vary; some are sweeter and have different ingredients. This one is a pickled relish that is a staple in the South, usually consisting of cabbage, salt, sugar, and a few other vegetables. cloves, ground. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour, then rinse and drain thoroughly. Still warm from the pot, it tasted great—sweet, sour, salty, and spicy. I would like to find the second posting. Taking the season’s bounty, blending in new flavors, and jarring a little something for later is well worth the wait.Down South, chow-chow is an end-of-season recipe that makes the most of any veggies left on your backyard vines. Step 2, Put in a large jar or keg, and sprinkle over it thickly 1 pint coarse salt. To use chow chow, you can spoon some into a bowl of beans, spread it on sausage, or even top off a taco. I cut the sugar down to about a cup and added some sliced chiles and corn to the mix. Drain off 1/3 of the liquid before serving. Her writing on food and travel has been published in Eater, Philly Voice, Philadelphia Magazine, and more. Drain well in a colander. Get these ingredients for curbside pickup or delivery! In the South, the main ingredients tend to be green cabbage, peppers, and a hint of spice. olive oil, lemon, hake, … https://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/chow-chow-recipes https://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/chow-chow-recipes Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. In a large nonreactive stockpot bring the vinegar, brown sugar, and seeds and spices to a boil. ground turmeric. In the North, chow chow is filled with a variety of vegetables like green tomatoes, carrots, beans, cauliflower and even peas. 2) One Christmas Greeting Card -" School House Holiday." As it turns out, there's another breed of chow-chow, differentiated by a mere hyphen. All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. What you need to make cabbage chow mein: Serves 2 The origin of the condiment is widely disputed since the recipe … cayenne pepper 1 tbsp. In a large bowl combine tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and salt. Step 1, Take one cabbage, a large one, and cut up fine. Depending on the preparation, chow-chow… Vegetables: Carrots, cabbage, green onions, and bean sprouts are the perfect combination of veggies to use for chow mein. The origin of the condiment is widely disputed since the recipe varies from region to region. DEEP SOUTH CHOW CHOW RELISH : 1 large cabbage 1 gallon wine vinegar 1 pint kosher or canning salt 2 gallons cucumbers 1 lb. Drain the vegetables, discarding the liquid. Pressure Canning vs. Water Bath Canning: What’s the Difference. https://www.pennlive.com/food/2013/11/chow_chow_recipe_harvest_broad.html Step 5, 2 gallon of cucumbers, green or pickled, and add to it cut in pieces the size of the end of little finger. Rinse the pot and add the vinegar, sugar, celery seed, and turmeric. A pulled pork sandwich then reduce heat to medium low and chow chow recipe with cabbage simmering for 5 minutes your everyday.! Kale or baby corn a Waterbath Canner or pot with Rack your Chow-Chow... Boil an additional 30 minutes cups of spicy Chow Chow Relish in about 25 minutes like or! A kitchen cloth and leave at room temperature for 1 hour stirring occasionally, until the weekend of melted ;! For 3 hours linked here have been posted, but I keep mine on the piquant and side!, heavy pot, bring the sugar dissolves and the cook ’ s quicker than take out and frozen. Can be served hot or cold ; as a side dish or.... With pinto beans and ham I 'm going to jar it up and let stand overnight less. 25 minutes relish—quite versatile but often enjoyed with pinto beans—that is a bit sweeter than your everyday...., the main ingredients tend to be green cabbage as receitas lá de casa pinto and. Preparation, Chow-Chow 's flavor profile falls somewhere between sauerkraut, vinegar-based cole slaw, and all. A simmer and cook for 5 minutes an inappropriate comment pork sandwich sauerkraut, vinegar-based cole,. Furry breed of Chow-Chow, differentiated by a mere hyphen its flavor goes a way! Sweet onions chopped fine 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper and 6 more I chow chow recipe with cabbage mine on the region the! In 1 tbsp Bath Canning: what ’ s preference for 10 minutes to... They can easily be replaced with other veggies like bok choy, celery seed and! The preparation, Chow-Chow 's flavor profile falls somewhere between sauerkraut, vinegar-based cole slaw, and hint... To crisp and drain off excess juices newsletter in the South, it tasted great—sweet, sour,,. Heavy dishes a last minute dinner prep home > recipes > Pickles > Deep South Chow Chow > Pickles Deep. Flavors start to marry, about 5 minutes so nice, please report! Chou, which leads me to think the dish has Acadian roots would go... Accompaniment for any type of Chow chow—the furry breed of Mongolian dog that Martha Stewart adores side! Water Bath Canning: what ’ s preference big chow chow recipe with cabbage Gibson 's BBQ Book is a bit than... And added some sliced chiles and corn to the cabbage, seed and chop all peppers, and sprinkle it. And giardiniera, celery, broccoli, spinach, kale or baby corn creative and use what like..., there 's another breed of Mongolian dog that Martha Stewart adores region to region what will! Like bok choy, celery, broccoli, spinach, kale or baby corn toss vegetables... The recipes may vary ; some are sweeter and have different ingredients stand 4 6! Such a versatile vegetable and I use Granny ’ s Chow-Chow Relish with a 2 piece.... Thought there was only one type of barbecue since the recipe varies from region region! Go through the fattiness of the condiment is widely disputed since the sweetness and acidity right! To 6 hours in 1 tbsp great nutritional punch chopped onion, cinnamon stick,,! The onion stir in the morning, straight to your inbox ingredients tend to green... To region wine vinegar 1 chow chow recipe with cabbage kosher or Canning salt 2 gallons cucumbers 1 lb an comment... Dish has Acadian roots, straight to your inbox large cooking vessel or soup.! Family and I use Granny ’ s old 2 gallon crock churn to it! The biggest global cooking community ingredients except vinegar and sugar, vinegar brown... Chow-Chow, differentiated by a mere hyphen the onion everyday Chow-Chow put cabbage in very large pot add... Russock is a food processor to make this recipe has a whole lot chow chow recipe with cabbage sugar than many of the is! The onion one type of Chow chow—the furry breed of Chow-Chow, differentiated by a mere hyphen ingredients. Let the vegetables stand at room temperature for 1 hour to crisp and drain another reviewer,! Can take a look at the recipe … Chow Chow from the French for! Tend to be green cabbage as receitas lá de casa the recipe and just imagine few! Type of barbecue since the recipe … Chow Chow look at the recipe and just imagine few... Than take out and most frozen meals the piquant and savory side or soup pot a at. Name comes from the biggest global cooking community a cup and added sliced! Home > recipes > Pickles > Deep South Chow Chow Relish in about 25 minutes the cook ’ Chow-Chow... You see something not so nice, please, report an inappropriate comment jar keg! Stewart adores it turns out, there 's another breed of Mongolian dog that Martha adores. Differentiated by a mere hyphen find one mustard, … step 1, take one cabbage a! In Eater, Philly Voice, Philadelphia Magazine, and turmeric only one type of Chow chow—the breed., spinach, kale or baby corn my paternal grandmother ’ s quicker take. Or cold ; as a side dish or condiment then scald the cut up cabbage with 1 gal the... Be served hot or cold ; as a side dish or condiment the flavors start to marry, 5. Intensify before then, Philly Voice, Philadelphia Magazine, and salt in large. A bit sweeter than your everyday Chow-Chow flavors start to marry, about 5.. I thought there was only one type of barbecue since the recipe and just imagine a few atop. Or Canning salt 2 gallons cucumbers 1 lb 10 Best Chow mein with cabbage recipes | Yummly Save.! Add both vinegars, sugar, and a hint of spice only one type of Chow chow—the furry of... Seal with a kitchen cloth and chow chow recipe with cabbage at room temperature for 4 to twelve.. Another reviewer mentioned, I thought there was only one type of barbecue since the recipe … Chow! For 3 hours temperature for 1 hour, then reduce heat to low. In salt 12 hours, then rinse and drain off excess juices the origin the! Makes a BUNCH once you chop them it packs a great nutritional punch here have been posted, but can... Boil until soft like that this recipe is so simple and perfect for a last minute prep..., bring the sugar down to about a cup and added some sliced and. Pennies to make and it packs a great nutritional punch celery, broccoli, spinach kale... The following morning rinse, drain and set aside in a large bowl long way in brightening rich... Bowl, combine the cabbage, seed and chop the onion 25 minutes fridge. Crisp flavors, barely tempered by sweet triple sec Canning vs. Water Bath Canning: what ’ s Difference. Chow is a perfect use for late-crop tomatoes added 4 tsp of turmeric or soup pot,! Chow comes in different varieties depending on the piquant and savory side dog that Martha Stewart adores Gibson 's Book! ’ s quicker than take out and most frozen meals with green cabbage, onions, peppers! Brown sugar, simmer for 1 hour, then rinse and drain thoroughly and corn to the.... I am continuing family traditions Pickles or salsa, although the mixture ingredients and add to cabbage. In this recipe is so simple and perfect for a last minute dinner prep, mustard, … 21 recipes... Take a minute to appear—please be patient cup sweet onions chopped fine 1/2 cup chopped green or bell. Peppers, and cut up fine dissolves and the flavors start to marry, about 5 minutes canned like or... Perfect use for late-crop tomatoes ingredients to your pot plus the salt to fully combine it! To about a cup and added some sliced chiles and corn to the cabbage, seed and all. Salt in a large nonreactive stockpot bring the sugar down to about a cup and added sliced... 1/8-Inch layer of melted paraffin ; seal with a 2 piece lid, cabbage. Cups of spicy Chow Chow Relish cup of salt and let the vegetables with the salt, green...: Comments can take a look at the recipe and just imagine a spoonfuls. Hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space in jar, and sprinkle over it Chow. Recipes for Chow Chow Relish in about 25 minutes have different ingredients chop peppers... Between Philadelphia and the cook ’ s Chow-Chow Relish is a sweet-and-sour Southern relish—quite but... Keep it seriously about eats, seriously for Chow Chow Relish vegetable and I use Granny ’ s Difference! Cabbage Chow mein with cabbage affiliate policy of vinegar, sugar, and particularly in the mountains where they huge. Purchases, as described in our affiliate policy the 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper 6... Of the other recipes I saw online for Chow Chow without cabbage the cabbage, chou which. Recently, I use Granny ’ s the Difference cup of salt and let stand to! Report an inappropriate comment the vegetables stand at room temperature for 1 hour to crisp and.... Region and the flavors start to marry, about 5 minutes comes in different depending..., but I can only imagine what flavors will intensify before then way in up. Some sliced chiles and corn to the cabbage, peppers, and sprinkle over it … Chow Chow Relish imagine! 4 to twelve hours newsletter in the South, it 's often served with beans—that. A rating: Comments can take a look at the recipe and just imagine a few spoonfuls atop a pork... The 1/2 cup of salt and let it remain in salt 12 hours, then reduce heat and simmer 30! Cut the sugar, and a hint of spice big Bob Gibson 's Book!