I just redid a bench that had paint and stain that peeled up and was cracked, and being sort of on the lazy side, and necessity being the mother of invention, I just didn't want to do all of that hand sanding. First bring your piece out to a well-ventilated area. Set your store to see local availability Add to Cart. Oh, by the by, I heard these brushes are not really good for cleaning the bar-b-que grate as sometimes the little metal things detach and stick to the grate and if you don't see them and put food on them, you can accidentally ingest them. When the paint bubbles, you are ready to scrape it off. Clarksville, TN 37043 Phone: 931-802-8912 Fax: 931-802-8911 JavaScript is disabled. First I would power wash it then power sand it. Make sure to lay a drop cloth, piece of plastic, or a cardboard box under your piece if you … Citristrip says it is safe for indoor use, but between Citristrip and Mineral Spirits, you’ll want to get fresh air while you work. Sweep/power wash the deck. Allow the Citristrip to sit on the project for 30 minutes and test a small area with your scraper. It contains no methylene chloride (or No NMP), is non-caustic and ideal for indoor use. Use a deck stain that is self-sealing, or apply a sealer that is water-resistant, probably more than one layer. SAFETY NOTE: No need to wear a mask, but I recommend wearing gloves and eye protection. If you haven’t tried it, I encourage you to give it a try! Also seal between the boards if there are any gaps. Whats the best kind of paint to use on my kitchen cabinets? The pros at "This Old House" recommend a semi transparent stain. What is the easiest but best way to fill in holes before repainting? Easy Stain Application. Use Paint stripper if Paint with Brush and Scraper. Three summers ago I applied the Armstrong-Clark Sierra Red stain to a previously-stained mahogany deck. So, use something else and keep these things for getting your flaking paint off the wood:) You may have to hand sand some areas. We’re not here to mess around. Ok, after reading the replies.. i will add this.. if you want to get away with a quick prep & redcoat.. i'd suggest a quick scrape of the larger peel areas - powerwash & dry - then light wire brush ALL to see if surface condition is somewhat sound.. if some areas peeled to bare wood spot prime or full if necessary with - CABOT PROBLEM SOLVER PRIMER then go FULL SOLID FINISH... Now i can't get this out of my head.. be warned.. make sure you do a few color sample tests of 1 coat semi-solid to make sure you like the look.. semi-solid is a little tricky when combining the fact it's only a 1 coat & color so find the one 4 you... i had another customer who used a lighter brighter brown semi-solid and it looked pretty bad (bleeder looking) with black grain.. so he wanted another coat and i stated to him he pretty much just went solid and that when it goes it prob going to peel... that's whats nice about one coat semi-solid, it has the max amount of pigment while applied correctly (+prep right) for when it's time to recoat the previously semi-solid it will be just fade - NO PEEL.. this is huge plus... then all you gotta do is quick sand rehit 1 coat.. oh by the way.. i kept my vertical semi-transparent and went semi-solid top rails, steps and floor..lol. I see so many fools spend days sanding and prepping only to have the deck looking just as bad a few years down the road using semi coatings. Use CITRISTRIP® Paint and Varnish Stripping and Removing Paste to remove multiple layers of dried latex and oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, polyurethane and shellac from wood, metal and masonry surfaces. I have found that the longer you can leave the product on your wood, the better it will remove the paint. When painting kitchen cabinets white do you finish with polyurethane? used effectively to remove multiple layers of latex paint, oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, enamel, polyurethane, shellac, acrylics, and epoxy from wood, metal, and masonry surfaces. Use citristrip and do it in sections. Citristrip won't harm any of your landscaping, I would not use a liquid paint remover on a deck because the chemicals will sink into the deck wood and may effect the stain you apply. Jewellmartin. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. 9 out of every 10 decks I do go solid no matter what was on there before and have never had a homeowner wish I did any different. Free delivery with $45 order. Products Overview Paint & Varnish Stripper Aerosol Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel Tub Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel Be sure that all of the dust and debris is removed before staining and that it isn't going to rain for at least 48 hours. Better test this one for sure before you buy a large quantity. How to Power Wash an Exterior Deck to Remove Paint. 1690 Golf Club Ln. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Can I paint over a single light coat of white wash stain? Please Note: Prices, promotions, styles and availability may vary by store and online. Please take lots of photos, and Post the story on Hometalk. homeguides.sfgate.com › Home › Home Improvement › Home Painting, Adpaint.sherwin-williams.com/SuperDeck/Deck-Paint‎. If the paint job on your deck has begun to look tired and worn, it’s time to get rid of the old paint and make the deck … You'll have to strip it. This special orange stripper has a … Painting a suitcase - rust on the latches - what to use? Safer Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel Non-NMP Model# QCSG801 View the Citristrip Collection $ 12 97 $ 12 97. Come join the discussion about the industry, safety, finishing, tools, machinery, projects, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! I didn't do my prep work very well, and the stain went on blotchy. I shudder at the thought of … How can I paint my wall to recreate this rustic look? Citrus strippers such as CitriStrip have a wax in them to keep the product from drying out after it's applied to the surface. A quick pressure, a light sand where needed and a coat of solid stain sounds like the right approach. For even the newest DIY’er, CITRISTRIP® is the effective brand of removers that is pleasant to use because it has a fresh citrus scent. Just took a look at a house yesterday that has some type of solid stain/paint on it. Hi friends! Citristrip won't harm any of your landscaping . Citristrip can offer an easy solution. However, mineral spirits is not compatible with water-based products. I thought I'd share another option that is pretty simple, that doesn't remove any of the original surface through sanding, leaving those pretty curves completely intact. Compare. 2) Shake well. Sand the whole deck to get off the paint and smooth any roughness time has caused. Citristrip is trendy and it smells like a creamsicle… but NO. It is non-caustic and is safe for indoor use. How do I paint shabby chic style on dark wood? A lot of siding and landscaping to worry about applying stripper to that deck. I brushed on the stripper with a natural bristle chip brush on a 2’x2’ area. I just brushed my wood and the majority of the paint came off along with the flakes. They say it will strip films, but it's primary ingredient is oxygen bleach . A powerful, industrial-strength remover but with a citrus scent, Citristrip Gel stays wet and active for up to 24 hours, allowing you to strip multiple layers in one step. If you decide to re-stain do not use a latex paint with the primer as it will not stick and will eventually peel. Citristrip Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel is a super easy way to strip off old paint and varnish finishes. Scrape the Citristrip and paint off the surface, scraping in the direction of the wood grain. What is the best way to paint 5 gallon plastic buckets? This allows easier removal with a light pressure washing or stiff scrub brush. Using your plastic scraper, gently scrape off the bubbled paint. They make Deck Brightener. Sand the whole deck to get off the paint and smooth any roughness time has caused. Beautiful Results. I would never do any deck in any condition without sanding.Even in perfect condition i would hand sand the spindles and palm sand the floor boards.Most decks i do that are pealing i completely power sand with a grinder and 36 or 60 grit then palm sand.I never trust the work of the guy before me.I usually apply 2-3 coats of Deckscapes on the floor,stairs and handrails.Then 2 coats of Woodscapes on the spindles. How Do I fix My dresser that I have put Dark Wax on ? It really is pretty amazing! CitriStrip® Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel - 32 oz. Long-Lasting Performance. Send your questions to Here's How, 6906 Royalgreen Dr., … I would not use a liquid paint remover on a deck because the chemicals will sink into the deck wood and may effect the stain you apply. Mineral spirits is recommended after the stripping solution because it's important to break down those waxes before getting started. If you can get underneath the deck, seal under the deck, too. It is easy to use because it stays wet and active for up to 24 hours, allowing stripping of multiple layers in one step. Solvent based stripper applied late in the day and put plastic over it. A stripper will aid in removing the old stain by softening the bond between the stain and the wood cells. If so, what chem's would you use? Allow the deck to dry thoroughly for a day or two and then treat it with a synthetic-based penetrating sealer. DIRECTIONS FOR USE: 1) Protect hands with chemical-resistant gloves and eyes with chemical splash goggles. Use CITRISTRIP 's all-purpose stripping gel to remove multiple layers of latex and oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, enamel, polyurethane, shellac, acrylics and epoxy from wood, metal and masonry surfaces. the safe and effective brand of removers that can be used indoors Or would you just sand it to bare wood? Go back the next morning and test and it should come up. Best wishes ☺️. Power wash is the way to go. Removing chalk paint wax before repainting? Don't ask:(, How to Strip Old Paint Off of Decks | Home Guides | SF Gate. You can leave the Citristrip on the project for up to 24 hours before scraping. Sweep/power wash the deck. The first thing I usually reach for when removing the stain from a piece of furniture is my handy dandy sander. Pour into a container and apply with a paint brush. Can you put Polyurethane over painted furniture. A lot of sanding, power washing and cleaning is the only way to remove any old paint on a deck and even at that you may not be able to get it all off. Fast Drying Times. We had to manually use a palm sander and power wash to get our patchy poorly applied ( handyman) finish off, then recoat the deck with the same color stain— at our previous residence. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Citristrip QCSG801 Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel, Red at Amazon.com. Reply. What is the purpose of wax application after chalk painting? How to Power Wash an Exterior Deck to Remove Paint | Home Guides ... SuperDeck® Deck Paint | from Sherwin-Williams‎, 10 Gorgeous Ways to Transform a Brick Fireplace Without Replacing It. Easy to Apply, Fast Drying Times & Long-Lasting Results. Find a Store Near You! No way I would clean and apply a coat of solid as well. Just follow the directions on the stain can and, for heavens sakes, use rubber gloves! But have only power washed it once in 6 years. If the coat hasn't completely lifted, give it more time for easy, one application removal. A forum community dedicated to professional painters. Once lifted use a scraper to remove the old finish (on wood surfaces be sure to scrape in the direction of the grain). Looks like a job for solid deckscapes :yes: If it's currently solid stain and in sound, but dirty condition, then i would clean it and apply another coat of solid stain. It looks like a really big tooth brush and has metal teeth and a wooden handle. The paint should be … Use CITRISTRIP Paint & Varnish Stripping and Removing Gel to remove dried latex and oil-based paint. I bet your deck will be stunning when you finish. on Jun 2, 2018. Allow Citristrip 20 to 30 minutes to get to work and penetrate the project surface. If it isn't mix a batch of sodium hydroxide based stripper, wet deck lightly and apply. So once you strip it all the way down, (if patio/plants/gardens present) i'd recommend using Citristrip, on decks that have minimal layers, its Non-toxic formula & smells won't be an issue.. afterwards & prepped perfectly ready - MUST MAKE SURE 100% Mosture / MG is out and 100% porous prior to application.. We clean (using a deck cleaner) and stain every 2-3 years because we like the worn look a little. Strip it and two coats of Flood Solid and call it a day. (We just used sand paper). Citristrip safer paint and varnish stripping gel is a powerful, industrial-strength remover. What can I do to darkened this kitchen floor? How much glitter to mix with paint for walls? 4. Collect the paint in a plastic … It probably was about the same amount of work as you did but just water. Thanks for all the great advice! Citristrip 1 qt. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Follow the instructions on the Citristrip, letting it work for about 30 minutes. Inventory is sold and received continuously throughout the day; therefore, the quantity shown may not be available when you get to the store. More Options Available. It’s true that you can leave Citristrip.on for 24 hrs. No stripping or sanding should be necessary. Today I'm sharing how I removed the stain from my dining room table top without sanding. What I used, and it worked wonderfully, was one of those things that you clean your bar-b-que grate with. Does that mean I'm a hack? How can I stain the new grout in my shower? As much as I hate and avoid chemical stripping, I would likely go that route on that one. Test a section in 15 minutes. I bought the Citristrip aerosol spray but have not used it yet. I'm restaining this summer, and I've cleaned the deck with Restore-a-Deck Step #1 and #2 products. Our deck got fuzzies and splinters but a good sanding took care of that. The process of using a wood stain stripper is incorrectly considered difficult. Choose a good brand of deck stain, and understand that the color may be different, depending on the wood already in place. Dip a disposable paintbrush into the stripper to apply in the thickness recommended on the package instructions. without it drying up. Would you use chems to strip this? Brush or spray on new stain. Helpful. Leave dwell and when it start to budge rinse off. Its too solid looking for sanding alone to be effective. That's how I would normally approach a deck in this condition.